Sunday, July 24, 2011

I Blame You for my Inability to Move

An evening that was supposed to be a nice get together with dinner and then a trip to the new beer garden turned out to be a delicious but stuffing night full of carbs.

The chain of events that ultimately lead to me getting a text later that night saying "I cannot move because of you and all that pasta we ate" began after work, when we met up to head uptown to her apartment. I'm already starving by this point so we take a brief survey of what she has in her fridge that we could scrounge up for dinner. I immediately make myself at home and decide that we should make pasta carbonara. We had some eggs, a box of thin spaghetti, and some olive oil. For some reason in my head we also needed heavy cream, Parmesan cheese and of course, bacon!

Didn't want to miss anything, so we Google'd (yes, I went there) "Pasta Carbonara" and came up with this recipe from AllReceipes which we took a loose adaptation of. Apparently, pasta carbonara does not call for heavy cream...or any sort of cream at all. We then took a trip around the corner to Best Yet Market to pick up what we were missing - parmesan cheese, garlic, onion and bacon. The bacon was the most difficult to find. When I finally got around to asking someone where it was, he looked down, then looked up at me, and then looked back down, and I was like, um....is this guy going to answer me or not? Then I looked down to where he was looking..."I found it!!! THANKS MISTER!!!" And ran off to tell my friend the good news and to see if she found the peas. We also picked up some zucchini because green seemed to be lacking in our diets. We also checked out their extensive beer collection and decided to be a little adventurous and walked out with a 6-pack of Apricot beer...that, and a can of Arizona Sweet Tea Pink Lemonade that caught my eye while we were waiting on line.

Next she brings me to Levain Bakery a block away and tells me not to underestimate the size of the cookie and that one cookie is meant to be shared between 3 or 4 people. Even with that warning, I think to myself, no way, I could totally beast that cookie!

Everything that happened after we came back from the successful food trip is documented below!

Pre-mixing!
     

      
The mixing process...

Rather nicely plated dish if I do say so myself

Set table for two, YouTube videos and all
The cookie that owned me
Jury's still out on this one...
Taking a bite of the deliciously gooey and heavenly cookie


Half a pound of pasta carbonara, 2 apricot beers (which were interesting...still not sure how I feel about them), and a third of a double chocolate cookie later (she was right, it was a cookie meant for sharing), we were both stuffed and laying down on the couches - defeated by our meal. We parted ways after this but I got a message from her later that night (after I was already passed out from the night's adventures) that she was still super full from our little (and might I add - awesome) meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment