Friday, November 22, 2013

Pan-Fried Chives Buns

These are actually some of my favorite things (break out into Sound of Music song)...aaaaand we're back.

But seriously, anytime I'm in Flushing, I will for sure try to get one of these delicious buns/dumplings or whatever you want to call them, I really only know the real name in Chinese - 韭菜盒子 (Jiu Cai He Zi). Not knowing the English name makes it really difficult to actually find a recipe via Google, but I did find one that looked manageable. 

Funny enough, the recipe I found was adapted by an American. But it worked! The only thing was that I found the recipe to call for a bit too much water and I kept having to add more flour. It makes sense though, since upon further research, it looks like the ratio of flour to hot and cold water should be closer to 3:1:0.5, and the recipe I was following called for 2:1:1.

Super excited that I can now make one of my favorite things and all extras can be frozen to be quickly fried up at a moment's notice!
Dough Prep
Filling Prep
Final Product!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I love eating that (I called it "Chive Box" to my Boston-bred, non-Asian boyfriend). I definitely want to try your recipe! Likewise, I've been trying to dabble more in Asian cooking. I'm a little intimidated since nothing will ever be as good as how mom makes it. I did pick up this book and hopefully it'll help guide me along: http://www.amazon.com/The-Asian-Grandmothers-Cookbook-American/dp/157061752X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! I'll definitely be looking into that/adding it to my Christmas wishlist! I didn't even think to literally call is "Chive Box!" That would have made my Google search so much easier...haha

      Delete