Tuesday, February 7, 2012

WD~50

After a discussion on New Year's Day 2012 over brunch about the New American restaurant, WD~50 which experiments with molecular gastronomy, after coordinating a date that worked for everyone (probably the most difficult part), our reservations were made within the week! 

Once there, there was talk of possibly getting the 9-course tasting meal which everyone at the table needs to participate in. While we may have missed out on some food experiences by opting out, I'm pretty sure it was the right choice to prevent and gut-busting...an attractive image, I know. At a restaurant like this, where I have no idea what to expect, I figured I'd go with whatever has been recommended by previous diners and by our waiter, who was asked to give his opinion on what he felt were the best dishes for every course before ordering. 

Drink:  WD~75 (which is White dog whiskey, meyer lemon, cocchi american) - my first reaction was...MY DRINK IS BUBBLING!!! But it was quite nice, light and bubbly, but still pretty strong
WD~75

Appetizer: Cold fried chicken with buttermilk ricotta, tabasco, and caviar. It was interesting, the chicken was cold, but the caviar was warm and overall, all delicious. I also took a bite of my friend's Aerated foie gras which was really rich and yummy, especially in combination with the paper thin "bread" that we had already devoured a round of before our appetizers arrived. 
Addictive flatbread...or the top layer of toasted bread?
eyeing my neighbor's aerated foie gras
Cold fried chicken

Entree: While Smoked Char was also on the menu, I didn't want to compromise my Char experience from Lure Fishbar earlier that week, so I went with the Pork ribs with hush puppies, spaghetti squash and red-eye gravy. I can't say I was all that excited about the Pork Ribs, they were kind of cubed, and just too much for me. The hush puppies however, with the spaghetti squash mixed in with the red-eye gravy, and yes, that's like the red-eye coffee, were awesome. 
Pork Ribs
Char - which I did try, and was pretty good, but not the same!
Taking the opportunity between courses to pose with the menu
Dessert: My friend and I split our desserts because they all just looked really good. I got the violent looking Chocolate with beet, long pepper and ricotta, and she got the Liquid Churro with bitter cocoa, chilies and meyer lemon. The chocolate and beet dessert was really interesting...in addition to looking like a crime scene, what looked almost like rock candies, was actually soft, and beet flavored. Overall, it was just...interesting. I didn't quite know what was going on, but I didn't dislike it...The liquid churro wasn't quite what I expected, but I must say I was a fan of the pepper chocolate. I'm just a fan of spicy chocolate in general.
Liquid Churro
Chocolate & Beets
I might have more of an idea of what everything on the plate was...and everything that we ate throughout the course of the meal for that matter, if we all hadn't been so focused on taking photos of our food while the waiter was patiently trying to explain what our food was. By the last course, he pretty much just gave up. But hey, now I have all these photos of my food to remember by and can look up the meal descriptions on their website anyway =P


The whole experience was really interesting and pretty good, but I think ultimately, I'm still more a fan of comfort home-food!
WD-50's take on the Rice Krispy Treat, sweet & salty with ice cream in the center...
I happened to get the last one, which is why it looks to forlorn...and also resembles something else...=X

1 comment:

  1. i LOVED the rice krispies!!! and that chocolate beet ice cream is classic wylie. I guess you guys didnt get to try the "everything bagel" which was an ice cream with salmon flakes (lox). loved this place. gotta go back and see how he's changed the menu sometime :)

    ReplyDelete