Saturday, April 14, 2012

Green Beans Attempt

I love ordering sauteed green beans in black bean sauce every time I'm at a Chinese restaurant, but for some reason, I've never tried to make the dish myself. But as I was left to my own devices for a few weeks with a bag of Chinese green beans in the fridge that would go bad and inevitably have to be thrown out if I didn't do anything with them, I thought I'd take a stab at cooking it..somehow...

The preparation part of it went well...I think where I went wrong was the sauce. To be quite honest, I Google'd a few recipes for Chinese String Beans, and since I can't really read many of the sauces that we have in our cabinets, I just experimented by throwing in a little bit of...well, I think I ended up throwing in a little bit of everything to try to get a similar flavor. It wasn't until the end that I realized I was missing a key ingredient - the black bean sauce. But I had no idea where that was hidden, so I had to settle with what I had, which ended up being edible, especially paired with some of the microwavable bao zhi (pork buns), that I had stashes of in the freezer, but I'll have to figure out how they really ought to be cooked at some point.
Intimidatingly long beans
chopped
Preparation
Slicing ginger
Into the pot we go...
Cooked
An afterthought...I was missing that kick in the flavor
Final dinner for uno

No comments:

Post a Comment