Monday, April 2, 2012

March Madness - Pasta Edition

I've always been mad for pasta...well, truth be told, I've really always been mad for any carbohydrate. And as it works, the few times that I did get around to cooking this month, were pasta dishes that I could quickly through together. 

First round - my sister and I were on our own for dinner, and she had some Vodka sauce that she had been meaning to use...but never did (probably because I was never available to cook it for her o_0). However, the only penne we had, was whole grain, and as much as I am an advocate for eating/being healthy...ok, I'm actually more like 50/50 for healthy versus borderline disgusting junk...whole grain pasta just doesn't do it for me. It has a more grainy texture that I don't like as much. So I used ziti instead. Then I scrounged up whatever veggies I could find (see, HEALTHY!), and came out with an onion, edamame soy beans, carrots and celery. 

Speaking of celery, it's just a vegetable that I don't understand. Can anyone please explain it to me? 

This is what came of all the ingredients listed above. At one point, we got really ambitious, and thought that we could actually finish the whole thing (2 girls, 1/2 pound of pasta). But luckily, came to our senses and saved some for lunch the next day.
Source of Inspiration
Boiling...
Lookit all the pretty colors!
Final Product
And while I am a firm believer that we all have a dessert stomach separate from our regular stomach, not finishing it all also helped save stomach space for this!
Toasted Corn Muffin with Banana Split Ice Cream - absolutely delish!
Near the end of dinner, I also realized that this pasta would probably taste pretty good on pizza. Although we were full, we did make an attempt to find a pre-made crust around the house...no such luck (probably for the better). But I tucked that idea away in the back of my mind for the next time when I could plan ahead of time to make the crust.

Fast forward a week and a half, and I found time! I wasn't so thrilled with the way the crust came out, I couldn't remember what recipe I had used the last time, but it was still edible. I threw together the rest of the ziti and vodka sauce and mostly all the same veggies (had no more onion though), and topped the pasta mix on top of the pizza.
Yeast Mixture
Mixed Dough
Letting the dough rise
Rolled out Dough

I remembered the mushrooms this time...just love the colors!
Pasta Reprise
Pizza on Crust
Final Product w/ extra pasta




Then last weekend, we had a party that was turned into a potluck last minute. I got home later than expected, and didn't realize I was expected to make this fettuccine with sausage and creamy tomato dish that is my go-to dish. When I make it properly sometime, I will post it. But when I got home, I learned that the sausage hadn't actually been defrosted, and I already knew we didn't have fettuccine...and then we also didn't have shallots or heavy whipping cream. Oh well, time to throw some things together again! I did microwave the sausage a little first to defrost. Then I tossed the below garlic, onions, carrots & mushrooms together with the sausage.

Ingredients
Sauteed garlic & onions



Add the spicy Italian Sausage
Add the canned diced tomatoes (such a great dish to throw together in a time crunch)
Final Product

And that's all I've got for the Pasta Edition of March Madness! Not too much variety...but how can you go wrong with pasta?








No comments:

Post a Comment