Friday, November 11, 2011

Post-Hurricane Irene Eating

Just when you thought all the hurricane nonsense was over...and by that, I mean it is, but I just stumbled upon some photos from the Monday after the hurricane when the weather was beautiful but the trains weren't running, so I was able to spend the day at home with my sister.

We were trying to make it a super productive day, so lunch was quick and easy - Velveeta, meet whole grain rotini. As a whole I really don't care for whole grain pasta - it has a different consistency that feels more grainy to me. But I'll eat it, and if there's nothing else, then...well then I really have no other choice, do I.

 

ew, looks so gross
better? I'm not so sure...
so gross and so enticing at the same time
 Some more time and effort was put into dinner, using fresh cucumber and tomatoes from our garden, as well as something found in the fridge. I'm not sure what it is in English, but I boiled it when I really should have baked it, so it came out as a blobby mess - but still good. The cucumber and tomatoes I mixed cold with some tofu and what I think they call the thousand year old preserved egg? Somehow, they do something to eggs where they turn black, and in my opinion, taste even more delicious than regular eggs. I know many people would beg to differ though, whether it's based on the actual appearance of the eggs or the unique taste. But hey, less competition for me! Also mixed in some avocado, and drizzled in sesame oil with a touch of hot chili oil. I also made some of my favorite corn soup.

 



The meal

 Oh, and did I mention that the weather was beautiful and we spent the morning out on the kayak in the Sound? Well, we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment