Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fried Rice & Pie in Berlin

It was a rainy morning in Berlin...rather, I suppose by the time we woke up it was more like a rainy afternoon. Regardless of time, we were pretty spent from the touring and eating we did during the Doner Day before. So we decided to do some home cooking. Did we have rice? check. Garlic? check. Eggs? check.Tomatoes? no...Meat? no... supermarket? close enough. FIELD TRIP!!!

One of my favorite things to do when I visit another country is to go grocery shopping. Actually, that's one of my favorite things to do at home too...and let me just say, that grocery shopping on an empty stomach is a dangerous thing to do. So I get the directions for how to the local market, and I "suit up" (<3 NPH) in my hoodie, equipped with a canvas bag b/c it seems that every country charges for plastic bags except the USA, and head out.

I pick up what I need for making fried rice, and then start hunting for ingredients to make a version of Nestle's Mini Custard Fruit Tarts. I found the recipe online a few years ago, and made them for Thanksgiving when my cousin was visiting...he was such a fan, that I think I ended up making them into full pies instead of mini tarts at least 3 times that weekend. The best part is, the recipe is super simple and can be easily substituted with other ingredients. A few substitutions had to be made here because apparently they don't have graham crackers in Germany, and I had to take a stab at some of the other ingredients because, well, I can't read German.

Since I'm on dessert, I'm going to Tarantino it and work my way back from the end:
Preparing the crust...
Custard
Crust pre-bake
Crust post-bake w/ filling
Final product!
It's dessert time!
My little helpers hard at work - there's no such thing as a free meal!

The set-up and fried rice process & result:

Not the best fried rice I've ever made - which I'm going to chalk up to circumstance, BUT was at least passable. And dessert was a hit, which totally made up for it and gave us all the energy to embark on our adventures around Berlin afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment